Pet Bird Home Hazards – Keep Your Feathered Friend Safe

Interacting with a pet bird outside of its cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but a home that is safe for us may not be so safe for our feathered friends. Small everyday things can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.

Ceiling fans they are so common in homes these days we hardly notice them. It’s easy to forget they’re on sometimes. If your bird can fly, it can fly into the fan. Spinning blades can easily mean quick death. When interacting with a bird outside the cage, play it safe and turn off the ceiling fan!

Uncovered pans Cleaning in the kitchen has become easier, but an overheated pan releases fumes that are toxic to your bird. Recent studies have shown that even a moderately heated pan can emit fumes, so regular cooking can be dangerous. When cooking, make sure the bird is safely in its cage to avoid accidents and when using non-stick pans, make sure the kitchen is well ventilated to prevent smoke from reaching your bird. Do you want to make life even safer for you and your birds? Don’t throw out non-stick pans…the fumes aren’t good for you either!

Pans, sinks, bowls and toilets full of water may be attractive to your birds, but it doesn’t take a lot of water to drown birds. Close those bathroom doors when your birds are playing and if you both need to bathe…take a shower together and skip the bath.

Non-stick coating isn’t the only inhalant that can be dangerous to your bird. You should never use it aerosol sprays Anywhere your bird can inhale fumes. If you must use sprays in rooms where birds live, remove the bird from the area and ventilate it. After the fumes clear, it is safe to return the bird to the area. Some bird owners have reported illness or death when their birds were exposed to scented candles, perfumes, hair sprays, and scented lotions! Be aware of the scents you use in your home and watch your bird for behavioral changes when you use any of these items.

We all know that birds use their beaks to explore and play. Like puppies and kittens, electrical cables it can create risks for birds to chew. Never leave a bird unattended in a place where it can chew on strings. When the device is turned off, power flows through the power cords, so don’t assume any plugged-in cord is safe.

Getting a bird’s eye view of your home and taking precautions when your feathered friend is out with you is the best way to make your sweet home a safe home for birds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *