The dangers of alcohol-based toothpaste for dogs and cats

Pet lovers beware: there’s a hidden danger lurking in a pet supply store near you. Some toothpastes and gels that are meant to fight tartar build-up in our dogs and cats actually do more harm than good. Some of these products have a pure grain alcohol content of 25% or more, which is conservative.

Twenty-five percent alcohol is what goes into the alcoholic drink. The alcohol in these scrubs and gels just goes up from there. Although these medications can be a quick fix to prevent gingivitis and periodontal disease (and are safer than cleaning), they slowly but surely hurt our teeth. animal

Alcohol is a poison

In moderation, it is safer for humans to consume. Immediately after consumption, alcohol begins to change in the liver into acetic acid, which is not toxic to the human body. The kidneys quickly restore homeostasis in the blood, which means that water and pH levels are balanced, among other things.

It is believed that ever since our Neolithic ancestors began to feast more than twelve thousand years ago, humans have been developing a tolerance for hard things. Unfortunately for our four-legged friends, their bodies aren’t as equipped to handle hooch as ours are.

Metabolic processes in cats and dogs are more flexible than in humans. This is part of evolution, but not natural selection. Over there selective breeding we have made our animals smaller and weaker than their cousins ​​in the wild. In drinking lingo it becomes “light.”

So what does this mean?

That is, a toothpick or gel brush impregnated with 25% pure grain alcohol given to a person weighing one hundred and eighty pounds will be registered. three times toxic for a full young, sixty pound Black Lab.

For a Calico cat weighing twelve pounds, that is fifteen times. And although only one application is not harmful, the recommendations for these products usually call for two cycles in the morning and two at night – every day, every night – depending on your pet’s genetic predisposition.

For animals whose metabolic systems are not suitable for producing these toxins in the first place, more than one hundred and twenty doses of the month. Then, after their fragile metabolisms go into overdrive trying to clean up the first grain alcohol infection, the directions on the bottle instruct you to shoot them with a second, and after the third and fourth.

There are consequences

Their livers are not given a chance to heal. Their kidneys are not given time to restore homeostasis to the blood. With each subsequent disease, their work performance increases. They have to work hard. That’s when the danger comes in.

On top of that, another reason dogs and cats can’t process alcohol properly, even in small amounts, is because their livers don’t have enough alcohol dehydrogenase. This important enzyme (found in the human body) is important in the breakdown of alcohol. In fact, the cat’s liver is not equipped to break down drinking two spoons of whiskey, according to the Columbia Animal Hospital, it is enough to put them in a coma. One tablespoon will kill them.

Of course, with these foams and gels we are talking about more and more strength than whiskey measured in spoons. Again, what’s wrong here is the quiet nature – it’s more dangerous.

Given time, its results will be seen. As the cat’s metabolism slows down, wheat toxin begins its attack on the central nervous system. When a dog keeps eating grass to make himself sick, his stomach is on the fritz.

Don’t wait for these signs

Now it may be too late.

But let’s not end this article on a sad note. You see, there are alcohol-free toothpastes and gels (including the one I highly recommend) that do the job just as well as their toxic competitors. A simple once-a-week brushing with a sweet toothpick and occasional carrot (they’re amazing at breaking up tartar, if your dog doesn’t pick) works wonders too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *